Saturday 14 January 2012

Dozo @ Valley Point Shopping Centre

The interior of Dozo is gives one a feeling of relaxed extravagance with its rich colours and intricate wallpapers and curtains to match. I have been to it twice, once last year and again this year for the birthday celebration of my friend who loves Dozo for what it offers.

We were served in a private room which I really appreciate, and were seated in a long table that had small white vases with long fried noodles of various sizes and taste. The noodles were really interesting. They looked almost like twigs and we might have mistaken them for decoration had we not been informed that they were actually edible snacks for us to munch on while we wait for the food to arrive.  

Service was splendid in Dozo, the waiter explained to us about each dish and taught us the best way to consume them.
 
Dozo serves a 6-course (lunch) fusion Japanese Western cuisine at $39.80++ per person. It is quite value for money of course, considering that they serve 6-course meals. But I would prefer having the option of ala carte which would be more affordable for me. But the food is pretty worth the price if you have the money to splurge. 

First we were served with complimentary glasses of yuzu sorbet (to whet our appetites I presume). It was very cold and refreshing.


Next was our starter. The Chef’s Selection of Assorted Platter which consisted of roasted foie gras, scallops with foam and asparagus, and smoked salmon with cream. We were advised to start with from scallop, then foie gras next, and finally the salmon. I thought the scallop and foam was a very interesting combination, really reminded me of the sea when I was eating it, and the asparagus added a nice crunch to it. As for the foie gras, it is the only place I have tried foie gras from apart from the plane, so I can’t quite comment on it, but it was pretty good to me. Glides on smoothly and melts in my tongue, and the taste is pretty agreeable for a liver, and I’m the kind of person who can’t stand internal organs at all. The smoked salmon was alright, nothing to shout about.  Overall, the flavours of the dish were well-balanced.

 
Next up was the cold dish. What I would highly recommend is the Platter of Air Flown Seasonal Sashimi, which was really fresh. The shrimp sashimi was especially sweet, once you get over the enormous shrimp head staring at you. 


 Side dish was Gratinated Escargot topped with Yuzu Butter for me both times I visited. First I had the one baked in the shell with the butter, before having the rest baked in cheese. Thumbs up for the escargot, juicy and well-seasoned.  


For soup most of us had Crab Bisque Cappuccino Style which we were advised to drink straight from the cup like cappuccino, and it tasted really thick and creamy, full of crab goodness. Other soups in the menu just couldn't compare with this.

A must-try for crab lovers!
Now on to the main course. The first time I went I tried Lobster Gratin, Pumpkin Puree and Asparagus Tips. Nice presentation, and the lobster was well-seasoned. The second time I had Beef Tenderloin on “Pu-Ye” and Granite Hot Stone. Now food that requires cooking always makes me slightly nervous as I want my food to be well-cooked, not charred. But I got through it with no accident, thankfully. All of us agreed that the sauce served alongside it tasted kind of weird. Actually, even the beef itself wasn’t that great, maybe the taste of pu-ye just couldn’t agree with us. 



The second last course was drinks served in pretty glass teapots and cups. The first time I went I had Iced Fruity Refresher, which was saccharine. The second time I had Hot Roselle Rhythm, which tasted sour. But I do think the Hot Roselle Rhythm tasted better than Fruity Refresher which was a little too sugary for me. 


Finally, dessert. Dozo’s Freshly Baked Warm Chocolate was served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, and the two is a heavenly combination of sweet oozing chocolatey warmth and ice-cream cold. Yum. The Espresso Crème Brulee was very unique.   The coffee foam on top added a bitter twang to the syrupy sweetness of the crème brulee, which makes it not overly sweet. 




Overall, this restaurant has a great presentation of delicious food and wonderful service to boot, together with the luxurious ambience; we all felt like rich upper-class ladies. 


 Food: ★★☆
Ambience: ★
Service: 

Dozo
491 River Valley Road  S(248371)
(+65) 6838 6966
Lunch 1130 - 230pm / Dinner 5.00 - 10.00pm, Daily


No comments:

Post a Comment